JOB: Director, Policy and Programs
The Law Foundation of Ontario seeks a strategic leader to fill the full–time position of Director of Policy and Programs, a member of the Foundation management team providing strategic support to the Board of Trustees and CEO. The Director of Policy and Programs will develop and implement granting activities within the Foundation’s objects that enhance access to justice, support and manage relationships with grantees, justice sector organizations, and other funders, and provide leadership to the grants team. The incumbent reports to the CEO.
- Work with the CEO and Board of Trustees in identifying and implementing strategic priorities for granting programs and evaluating those programs
- Provide support to the CEO in developing and implementing strategic and operational plans
- Advise on and develop granting opportunities using research and policy development skills grounded in knowledge of the access to justice and nonprofit sectors
- Manage grants team in a collaborative manner to achieve objectives of granting programs
- Develop and implement granting policies and processes (using technology and data management) to ensure that fairness, effectiveness, rigour, and accountability is brought to the granting process
- Working with the grants team, manage the assessment of grant applications, tracking of budgetary and activity reports, and making of payments
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with external stakeholders including grantees, law foundations, and others in the justice, nonprofit, and philanthropic sectors
- Act as a resource to grantees in relation to issues arising in their program delivery
- Working with communications specialist, manage the development and implementation of communications strategy, including website and social media and events planning
- Assist the CEO on a range of policy and administrative issues and special projects as required
- Minimum requirement of a post-secondary degree
- A proven leader with a track record of success and relevant experience gained through progressively more responsible positions
- Demonstrated expertise and significant experience in one or more of the following areas is required: the justice sector; program and policy development; grantmaking; and/or nonprofit organizations
- Significant experience in managing, building, and leading teams to achieve objectives with an emphasis on developing capacity in others
- Strong project management and organizational skills that support the launch, successful implementation, and evaluation of initiatives
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong research and consultation skills to ensure that recommendations are supported by evidence
- Innate interest in access to justice issues with an aptitude for creative problem solving
- Familiar with, and interested in, effective communication strategies that support organizational objectives
- Superior analytical skills, excellent judgment, and initiative
- Excellent writing skills
- Knowledge of French is an asset
The Foundation offers competitive compensation, including benefits, and a collegial working environment.
The Foundation encourages a work environment that promotes equity and diversity and prohibits any form of discrimination or harassment. We are committed to making sure that our recruitment, hiring, training, compensation, and other personnel activities are fair and equitable. We consider employees and prospective employees on the basis of individual merit and actively promote equity for all individuals without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, or sexual orientation.
We accommodate the needs of persons with disabilities in our hiring process.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No inquiries, please.
About The Law Foundation of Ontario
Established by statute in 1974, The Law Foundation of Ontario is the sole foundation in Ontario with the mandate of improving access to justice. Through granting and collaboration, the Foundation invests in knowledge and services that help people understand the law and use it to improve their lives. Learn more at www.lawfoundation.on.ca.