Who we are

Through granting and collaboration, The Law Foundation of Ontario invests in knowledge and services that help people understand the law and use it to improve their lives.

Established by statute in 1974, The Law Foundation of Ontario is the sole foundation in Ontario with the mandate of improving access to justice. A priority for the Foundation is to pay particular attention to groups who have experienced injustice or inequity – past or current – and those who have experienced exclusion or barriers in society.

Revenue sources

The Foundation has two main revenue sources:

  • Mixed trust accounts
    The Foundation’s work is primarily funded by the interest earned on the mixed trust accounts of Ontario lawyers and paralegals. By law, the Foundation gives 75% of this revenue after operating expenses to Legal Aid Ontario. The Foundation uses the remaining 25% to make innovative grants to improve access to justice across Ontario.
  • Cy-près awards
    The Foundation also receives funds from the proceeds of class action lawsuits where the court has made a cy-près award in its favour. The Foundation uses these funds to make grants across the country through its Access to Justice Fund.

Class Proceedings Fund

The Foundation also administers the Class Proceedings Fund to support the independent Class Proceedings Committee. The Class Proceedings Fund provides financial assistance to parties involved in class action lawsuits in the public interest.