Connecting Ottawa is a network of over 45 community health, legal, immigration, disability, and social services agencies and community organizations. Its aim is to improve access to justice for Ottawa residents who speak neither English nor French or who have communication impairments. The Law Foundation of Ontario has funded Connecting Ottawa to test the benefits of a new regional planning model to provide a coherent system to support people at every stage of the legal continuum.
- Improving assessment, information and referral activities through training frontline organizations and working with 211 Ontario (Ottawa) on legal referrals.
- Maintaining the Connecting Ottawa website.
- Using trained volunteers as system navigators for clients.
- Using a social worker and a lawyer to serve network organizations through a variety of tools, including outreach, mobile technology, and case consultations.
- Subsidizing interpretation services for clients.
Connecting Ottawa will share the experience it gains with other regions of the province.
A local Advisory Group provides oversight and direction to Connecting Ottawa, led by South Ottawa Community Legal Services.