Call for applications: Connecting rural regions grant
In July 2018 we launched a new granting opportunity to help enhance legal services for rural residents in Ontario. The granting is for one-time project funding to nonprofit organizations that work to improve access to justice for the people of Ontario. Visit the Connecting rural regions webpage for details.
An evaluation of Connecting Region
As part of our commitment to understanding the impact of our grantmaking, we commissioned an evaluation of our Connecting Region program (an initiative of our larger Connecting Project). The evaluation focused on the effectiveness of the Connecting Ottawa project and seed funding that was granted to three consortiums to develop a regional model. Here is a link to the report in PDF format: The Law Foundation of Ontario Connecting Region: Final Evaluation Report (2018).
About Connecting Ottawa
Connecting Ottawa is a network of over 45 community health, legal, immigration, disability, and social services agencies and community organizations. Its aim is to improve access to justice for Ottawa residents who speak neither English nor French or who have communication impairments. The Law Foundation of Ontario has funded Connecting Ottawa to test the benefits of a new regional planning model to provide a coherent system to support people at every stage of the legal continuum.
- Improving assessment, information and referral activities through training frontline organizations and working with 211 Ontario (Ottawa) on legal referrals.
- Maintaining the Connecting Ottawa website.
- Using trained volunteers as system navigators for clients.
- Using a social worker and a lawyer to serve network organizations through a variety of tools, including outreach, mobile technology, and case consultations.
- Subsidizing interpretation services for clients.
Connecting Ottawa will share the experience it gains with other regions of the province.
A local Advisory Group provides oversight and direction to Connecting Ottawa, led by South Ottawa Community Legal Services.